23 March 2013

Stampsmith Challenge #40

Stampsmith Challenge description:   Spring colours and flowers.   Using a Stampsmith stamp.


 Here is my entry



Main Items Used

Stampsmith stamp - Thank Heavens 2
3d Flowers   - Free cut files from Birds Cards
Frame - Free cut files from Svgcuts
Silhouette Cameo Machine
Cuttlebug embossing folder
Kindy Glitz
Stickles
Aquarell watercolour pencils


I found a wonderful place that offers free designs for cutting machines and also some digital papers and stamps.    Bird Cards 3D flowers were used in this but shrunk down quite small.    I coated the leaves in Kindy Glitz.   I believe Kindy Glitz is the same as Stickles except that it is an Aussie brand.    


I stamped my image with Black Versafine.   It is important when using the watercolour pencils that you use a permanent ink that wont run.    I still allow a day or two for it to dry and set into the paper just to be sure.    I did try the Bic Mark it pens but they re-wet this ink so they are not suitable.   I think they are the same formula as copic pens so test before trying. 


 The watercolour pencils are a very cheap alternative to copics.    I bought a 36 colour set for around $20 from Officeworks in Australia.   I'm sure they are much cheaper in other parts of the world but that is a good price for here compared to Copics.   However for this card I used an old 12 colour set.   As you can see there are enough colours to do basic colouring.   The 12 pack usually has 2 blues, 2 greens, etc so shading is easy.   You can get a 12, 24 &  36 pack which has about 6 shades of blues, greens, reds etc.    Here is a link to the pencil colour chart.   Watercolour pencils     If you want to get really serious there are even larger packs out there with 100+ colours.

When colouring the stamp I used the lightest colour all over then the darker colour on all the shadows.     Using a very small tip paintbrush just slightly damp, I blend the colours from the lightest into the darker colour.   You can build up the colour and also use the pencils without water.    Test your paper first too.  The paper I use for photo stamps is a very smooth matt finish and it copes well with the water. (bought from an Aussie supplier and is stickybacked)  




TIP:   If the pencil tip breaks off, don't throw it out.   You can crush it, add water and use it like  paint.  

1 comment:

  1. Really like how the watercolor pencils look on this image---very nice! Thank you for joining the Stampsmith Challenge this month!

    ReplyDelete